Friday, September 4, 2009




Happy Father's Day to my bros (minus James of course) and my Dad in Oz!

Shammy and I have been keeping abreast of whats going on with the blogs and pics that keep coming. I am now into my 4th last week of internship and I'm trying to get some study in at the end of the day to get things started. We house-sitted for a friend of a friend last weekend, we managed to get a swim in in their pool and use their hot tub and Shameer particularly liked their theatre room. We did however have to sleep on a wirey sofa bed downstairs which didn't give us a good night sleep and their dog luke has destroyed their carpet by peeing and pooing everywhere, I think the dog felt like it was missing out on the action.


We also paid another visit to the velodrome for the last meet of the season. It poured so after a rain break where we went and grabbed some dinner it started back up again. The Ozzie girl took out the female title.
Shammy and I have been getting into some tennis and mixed beach volleyball with some of the medical residents, I forgot how much fun it is!
We are also doing our final training runs before the relay marathon coming up on the 13th of September. One of the guys has pulled out as he can't get a replacement to work for him so Shammy is doing 2 legs (4.8miles and 3.9miles), the 3rd and the final leg. I am doing the 5.8mile and 4th leg and I'm hoping the day is cool but if its as warm and humid as it has been lately it could be interesting.
This weekend is a 3 day weekend as they have a labour day holiday on Monday so we are making the most of it.

Yesterday we went to Hawk mountain, a National park 30 minutes away from here. It was a spectacular vista from the top of the range and it is Hawk season so we spotted a few flying around, we weren't however paying as much attention as the avid bird watchers. We set out for a nice hike with our friend Raj. It was funny because the one trail we weren't going to do because it was supposed to be hazzardous with cliff drops and rock climbing we ended up unwittingly doing. This was because we thought the hazardous part was further along in the other direction away from the visitors centre so we headed off on the trail towards the visitor's centre, oh well it made for an adventurous hike.
The allentown fair was on last night so we thought we would drop in as the lehigh valley hospital staff got free entry. This of course was not supposed to include family, however I managed to get in free also. I don't think the volunteer at the gate was going to take on Shammy or thought it completely amusing when Shameer said "THIS IS MY WIFE", he probably thought yeah and pigs fly :) but good on ya mate for giving it a go. We tried our first funnel cake which is piped dough into hot oil and then sprinkled with icing sugar. It was quite tasty but definitely a once a year treat. The other thing Raj thought we should try is a fried Oreo, Shammy and I tasted that but one bite was definitely enough for us, too rich and I was thinking about the amount of saturated fat we would need to remove from our systems. That kind of food doesn't really mix with running or our stomachs :).
Well we are off now to drive over the course for next week, a 2 mile run followed by a hit of tennis, sounds good! The only thing missing is it would be good to have family here to share in our experiences.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like an action packed weekend sammy, lovely weather and lots of outdoors. that house you looked after looks great, too bad about the stinkin dog and bad sleeping arrangement though. well done on signing yourselves up for another epic race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so inspired by how much you guys manage to fit into your lives. I wonder what the inside of those massive pumpkins looks like?

    ReplyDelete